Without going into too much detail, 2011 is a year I’d like to forget. While there weren’t any tragedies or train wrecks over the past 365 days (family, marriage, and ministry generally were well), I don’t know if I’ve ever had a space where I felt more languishment, restlessness, and frustration. What’s worse is I can’t tell you why I felt that way. 2011 held many blessings for me and yet, this sense of aimlessness has been hard to shake. I’ve shared this plight with many in my inner circle of friendships – out of a sense of confession, need for intercession, and hope for accountability.
I share it now not because I have something to hide but because it gives a clearer backdrop for my hopes in 2012.
In 2012, I want…
- More music. Less television.
- More Bible. Less books about the Bible.
- More conversation. Less isolation.
- More ranch. Less office.
- More discipling my sons. Less barking at them.
- More riding a bike. Less sitting in a chair.
- More slow food. Less fast food.
- More people. Less things.
- More self-confession. Less self-righteousness.
- More fiction. Less non-fiction.
- More serving my wife. Less being served by my wife.
- More praying for the lost in my life. Less knowing I should pray for the lost in my life.
- More dependence upon Jesus. Less confidence in myself.
- More traction. Less spinning my wheels.
- More cowbell. Less triangle. (Sorry, couldn’t resist it)
I’m hoping the grace of God will help me walk down the path of more fulfillment and less frustration in 2012. What do you hope more for?
5 thoughts on “Hopes for 2012”
What a gift you have in the power of the pen! Here are a few I would add.
Longer, stronger hugs; to Linger over a cup of coffee or tea with a loved one – friend or family; More raucous laughter; finding the will to commit time, talent, and money to Christ’s work.
Hi- I’m Jared Melton’s little sister… I just stumbled upon your site. LOVE your 2012 more/less list. Good stuff- so I reposted. Blessings to you!!!
Thanks Kimmee, I remember ya. Tell Jared I said hello when you get a chance!
Fay, thanks for adding to the list.
Un-fair comment here…”I heard your sermon today”… Dude; I want to hit the gym
with a love for it! I am so looking foward to this message….